Saturday, September 20, 2008

Food Feature on College Game Day

In my previous post, I talked about my delight in cooking while waiting for the kickoff of my favorite game. I am going to start a Food Feature on College Game Day which means I will (attempt) to post a recipe each Saturday.

Today's recipes will be Brisket & Beans - YUM!

Brisket
Recipe by Mel (my mom)


Flat Cut Brisket
Woody's Cook-In Sauce (bar-b-que concentrate)
Garlic & Herb (salt free) seasoning
Salt

ingredients




























Place brisket in heavy foil in a large pyrex - fat side down.
Mix 1/2 bottle Woody's Cook-In Sauce with equal amount of water. Stir. Pour over meat.
Completely cover brisket with the Garlic & Herb seasoning. Then do the same with the salt.
(Don't ask why we use salt-free garlic & herb seasoning, then cover with salt. We don't know.)

Close foil. Refrigerate overnight to let the meat marinate. If you don't have the time to marinate overnight, marinate at least a few hours before cooking.

Bake at 300 degrees for 4 hours.

Remove the meat from the pyrex and place on a cutting board. I lay it fat side up so I can cut off the entire layer of fat. I guess this is optional if you like the layer of fat on your brisket. I then turn it back over and start slicing.

After it is sliced, I pour some of the meat drippings on the brisket to keep it moist.

If you wish, you can use the meat drippings to make a gravy (using flour & water over high heat) which is absolutely delicious poured over the meat and mashed potatoes.

pouring Woody's/water mix over the meat














pouring salt-free Herb & Garlic seasoning over meat














cooked brisket straight from the oven














cutting off layer of fat














sliced














I usually slice about 3/4 of the meat and chop the remaining 1/4. I use the chopped for left-overs to make brisket tacos wrapped in tortillas. I usually smash pinto beans & add to tacos. You could even add cheese, guacamole or anything else you'd like to the tacos.


Pinto Beans

Recipe by KV & Mel

1 lb Pinto Beans
1 jar Picante Sauce
either bacon strips or beef bouillon cubes for flavoring

ingredients





























Rinse beans then place in water and soak overnight.

To soak or not to soak: I am a bean soaker and so was my grandad but my mom is not. This step is really up to you but I think the beans are better if soaked.


Fill 1/2 - 3/4 cooking pot with water, add beans, and bring to a rapid boil.
Add about 4-5 slices of bacon if you are choosing that option.
Keep the boil going throughout this first step.
As the water evaporates, keep adding water and keep cooking on high.
Stir often.
This step will end when the beans become a more solid color and start to lose their dots.
When that happens, turn the heat down to simmer.
Pour in the bottle of Picante Sauce. (I use medium.)
If you are cooking with bouillon, add the 2 cubes now. (don't use bacon & bouillon - choose 1)
Cover & simmer for about 1 hour or until the beans are soft.
When cooking with bacon, I sometimes have to add salt for taste; I rarely need to add salt when using bouillon.

rinse














soak















boil














picante

No comments: