Sunday, November 02, 2008

Food Feature on College Game Day

Rio Grande Chili

I love this chili recipe! It's the BEST! Once I tried it, I haven't made another. I got it back in the day when I played Bunco.

As with all my College Game Day Saturdays, I had this timed perfectly with my first bite at the 7pm kick off between Texas and Texas Tech. What a treat!



















Ingredients:
2 lb. Ground Beef
1 Onion, chopped
2 1/2 Tbsp Chili Powder
2 1/2 Tbsp Paprika
2 tsp Cumin
4 small cans (5.5 oz) Tomato Juice (or 2 large cans)
2 cans Tomato Sauce
Ground Red Pepper - use sparingly to taste

Beans: I am a big fan of the pinto bean and I love to add them to my chili. Click here for that recipe. Depending on who will be eating my chili determines if I add them. I usually have a big pot of beans cooking along side the big pot of chili, then I add some of the beans before simmering. If I am not sure if the crowd is a fan of beans, I leave them separate and serve the chili, beans, cheese and fritos buffet style.



















Brown ground beef & onions.
Add the remaining ingredients.
Bring to boil, then simmer covered for 30 minutes - 1 hour.
You can add water for desired thickness. I usually don't add any.
Serve with fritos or cheese.



















Chili KV Style - with beans & fritos, no cheese

Good Luck! I hope you like this recipe!

3 comments:

Chad said...

Yaaayyyy!

I'll have to give it a try! I love chili. My dad use to always get Ft. Worth brand block chili. Now I can't find it anywhere. Maybe if I look for it on the west side of town I'll find it!

Katie @ makingthishome.com said...

I'm thinking chili and cornbread VERY SOON at our house. (Wonder if people do that here in Germany...) Yum. Thanks for the inspiration.

Dot O said...

OMG, a chili recipe without beans!!! My young son is going to love you for this!!!

Can't wait to give it a try