Saturday, November 15, 2008

Food Feature on College Game Day

Taco Soup

After trying many Taco Soup recipes, this one is my favorite. I got it from the Weatherlys - Michelle to be exact. The key ingredient is the Velveeta cheese.



















Ingredients:
2 lbs. ground beef
2 pkgs taco seasoning mix

Brown the ground beef & drain. Add the taco seasoning mix according to pkg instructions.

In a large sauce pan, combine (do not drain):
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can yellow hominee
1 can Rotel
2 cans petite diced tomatoes (if I only use 1 lb ground beef, then I only use 1 can of tomatoes)
1 can pinto beans (or add your own homemade; see my recipe)
Velveeta cheese (I usually use 4 oz for every pound of ground beef; 1 lb beef = 4 oz cheese)

Add the cooked ground beef to the sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then simmer covered for about 20-30 minutes.

This is so yummy and easy to make.


















Product Endorsement & a Story:
I like to cook large batches of soups & chili and freeze them. I have found the Ziploc twist n loc storage containers to be the BEST.


















A few years ago I was at a baby shower and it came time to play the dreaded game where you have to write your best piece of advice to the mommy to be. Being childless, I can't ever think of anything. At this shower, the host decided to read the advice to the group. It said, "Always stick to 1 brand of sippy cups. That way your cups and lids will always match and you won't be in a panic with a screaming child."

That was a lightbulb moment for me! I decided to incorporate that into all the plastic food storage containers I have. Once I found the Ziploc twist n loc, I decided to slowly weed out all the others. It has been great!

3 comments:

Dot O said...

I want to nab this recipe for taco soup. I hope you don't mind but since it is frigid cold here, soup sounds so wonderful!

I also like the idea of one size container/lids. I have mishmash of old, old tupperware and then some new Ziplock and Glad storage containers and I get their lids mixed up all of the time! Very frustrating, not to mention the fact that everything falls out of the cabinet when I go to take one container out!

Thanks for the tip!

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Oh yum! I'm going to make that tonight if I have time. My husband is not a soup guy, but I think he'll like this a lot. I need to get some containers too. Good tip.

Anonymous said...

I will always take ur leftovers.

dia